Monday, September 7, 2009

Mental Block

Starting your own business is like writing a blog for the very first time! At first, you are excited; you envision the best case scenario having thousands of readers accepting your ideas. You put in a lot of work to be met with the harsh reality that it's not as easy as you thought it would be. Persistence, determination and flexibility are keys to succeeding in both arenas.

By now I'm sure you know that I started my own business earlier this year. I ventured off on my own providing my field of expertise. It was the next logical step in my career especially if it was me who nursed broken companies into producing machines! It's what I've always done and I'm good at it. I found my courage pulling from the circle of friends/colleagues around me that are successful entrepreneurs.

Initially in building my company, there was a lot of excitement and movement in the air. It's all I thought about all day and night. I worked my butt off! But like a blog, just because you build it, doesn't mean they'll come. Let me tell you, I hit my wall and by the 5th month, I was exhausted! I didn't even want to think about my company! I've never climbed a mountain as big as this and I'm overwhelmed and my feet are getting tired.

My inner warrior would never let me give up but my mind was beating me up for the lack of progress. For the first time in my life I started to doubt my abilities; were all my successes an illusion. Maybe I'm not as talented as I thought I was. It was heart breaking.

I knew that I needed to step back. I needed to get clear, get rid of my negative emotions/thoughts and give myself permission to be kind to myself. Sometimes, things may not go as planned, but just like your blog, you can't give up either. You'll have to listen to what your audience is telling you, flexible with the changing times and determined to get to your end result. Along the way, you'll learn many things about yourself, and when you get there it will be the greatest reward! The money will be icing on the cake! =)

Much love,
Millie

PS, Please stay tuned to upcoming stories by clicking on the "FOLLOW" button.

8 comments:

  1. Millie, look at it as a marathon, you need to pace yourself. It's good to have goals and its good to push yourself, this is what happens when you have a life. You just need to find some balance, reward yourself, pat yourself on the back and enjoy the process. Enjoy the journey and the destination will take care of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rod! I love your comment. You are soooo right! Not about my end result but the journey, the moments, it's about life (I actually wrote about this once and I had forgotten, thanks for reminding me). And I can relate to your analogy because I happen to run 5ks often to give myself a sense of accomplishment. Running long distances is all about pacing yourself that gives you character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a leader Millie....Be strong, be kind, and always stay focused on your dream!
    Anthony

    What matters is that you dedicate yourself to being a little better today than you were yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Millie,
    Thanks for visiting my blog,
    Jesus Knows You Best....
    I hope you liked it...

    You have a great inspiring, honest blog that is well written and shares your emotions with us all...continue and remember...WITH GOD, EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE!
    These are not just words that sound good, but reality!
    I added myself as a follower to your blog, as you requested too...
    Please visit Jesus Knows You Best anytime...HE is always guiding us in many ways.

    Warm regards,
    K. Frangeskos at Jesus Knows You Best

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is not easy to start especially everything from the beginning, but you have done all your best. Nice blog and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anythony! Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. K. Frangeskos at Jesus Knows You Best

    ______________

    I really enjoyed you blog too! Great source of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ seername

    Starting is the easy part, finishing is what I get to work on!

    ReplyDelete

Lur'em Marketing's Fan Box