Monday, August 31, 2009

Rude vs. Polite?

Have you ever noticed that when it's your own mess, you don't mind it so much? But when the mess belongs to someone else, it rubs us the wrong way? Whether it's a dirty glass on counter top or driving etiquette; it's seems worse when someone else is doing the do. What if our initial thought that angers us isn't right?

I was driving down to San Diego and I thought about how people get so upset on the road (and no, I wasn't driving madly). It was spurred by a recent conversation I had on the matter of personal pet peeves and an Oprah show I recently watch entitled "how rude are you". Let me ask you, do you get upset when you signal to change lanes, and the car next to you automatically speeds up? If not, that's cool, but if so, why do you get upset? Do you get upset because you think that he/she speeds up for pure selfish reasons and doesn't want you to get in front of him/her? Could be...

That answer may be true; yes they could be selfish but could it also be that the person is trying to be polite by giving you space behind him/her? It's similar to when someone opens the door for you or when you are crossing the street and a car is waiting for you to cross. You know that someone is waiting for you so you walk a little faster because someone is holding the door open, waiting for you to cross the street or speed up because someone wants to change lanes.

My point is, maybe that person isn't as rude as we think they are. I can't tell you the answer because I don't know what the other person is thinking. But I can tell you that I won't let it ruin my driving experience...anymore anyways.

What are your thoughts?

Just a thought,
Millie

PS. Please click stay connected by clicking on the "follow" button.

8 comments:

  1. A lot has to do with our advanced society, people behave a certain way while in there cars then they would behave to you face to face. The answer, choose happiness, choose kindness, it's not easy mind you, you have to work on it. I don't want to sound like a cockeyed optimist, but if we learn how to deal with our little "pet peeves", we can better prepare ourselves for the big problems that life throws at us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rod! You just gave me an "aha" moment. You're soooo right! If you deal with your pet peeves and learn how to let them go, I'm willing to bet that it's life changing for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. man i just close my eyes and rev it up and hope i don't hit nothin, and thats just when i'm in my scooter.
    pet peeves, man i got enuff pets now.

    hugs, millie,
    jk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years ago I took a defensive driving program. Since then when I experience weirdness on the road I never make judgments about the mental set of the other dirver. Instead I focus on avoiding collions and getting to my location safely.

    When I was a librarian I took an inservice training program focised on delaing with difficult people. I came to understand that many people who remain difficult have long term problems between their ears that limit thenm. They are insecure and feel inferior so they adopt patterns early on in life that feed their egos. It's a sick pay back cycle that most never break free from. I don't judge them. I simply avaoid them.
    timethief

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because I ride a motorcycle, I am very sensitive to this. It seems people are always crowding me out when I try to change lanes or merge onto the freeway. Sometimes I do get angry and upset with them because they crowd me out rather than giving me room, and this could be fatal to me. I don't notice it nearly as much when I am driving a car. Perhaps I am more sensitive to it when I am on a motorcyle and more vulnerable. On motorcycle the only choice I have is to give rather than take. If they want to crowd me, I have no choice but to give them the space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bikerphoto - I get nervous for the motorcycle rider when I see him/her on the freewas, slow/or fast. Largely because I'm a new bicycle rider and I still run into things. At this time, I couldn't imagine a motorcycle. And if people are crowding you, shame on them! That's so dangerous! (That's my inner mom talking.) But you know, there are many occasions when I don't notice the motorcycle until he/she passes me. So that could have been me and didn't notice it. Yikes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It reminds me of Romans 2:1

    You may think you can condemn such people, but you are just as bad, and you have no excuse! When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are condemning yourself, for you who judge others do these very same things. (NLT)

    ReplyDelete

Lur'em Marketing's Fan Box