Saturday, August 22, 2009

First Impressions are Overrated

I ran out of my homemade instant coffee (yes instant coffee) one morning and decided to go to Starbucks to get my emergency quick fix. Just a medium coffee in a large cup please; I like my coffee with a lot of milk and no sugar. As I stood in line I noticed a man across the way waiting but it was just a quick glance, no big deal. However, have you ever felt that feeling that someone was watching you? That's exactly what I was feeling.

I got my coffee and walked to the milk stand where he was standing. He then nervously said hello, gave me a sincere - I think your beautiful - compliment followed by a nervous apology. All this was in one sentence with a bit of nervous chuckle in between the words. Did I say he was nervous!? I found it very endearing but the problem is I wasn't that attracted to him. He looked like he just woke up and didn't even bother to look at himself in the mirror. But who am I kidding, I’m 32 years old, single mother of 2 and compliments don’t come by very often anymore. I appreciate it when it does.

Anyway, I think it is extremely difficult to do what he did as nervous as he was. Good for him for having the courage. He had a lot more courage than I ever had. I didn't want to be that bit@## (excuse my French) that discourages his future attempts. What to do, what to do?

Well, I gave him my number because at the moment, I didn't know how to respond. A couple of days later, I decided to return his call to let him down easy. To let him know sincerely that I thought he was very sweet and wish him luck. Come to know it, I had a very pleasant conversation with him. He turned out to be smart, endearing and refreshing. We talked about his start-up business that he's been working on for the past 2 years. I've been working on mine for the past 5 months so I can totally relate. I guess you really can't judge a person by the first impression. You never know, I might just have found a really good friend. Or what he said "you might have found a person you can speak business with." Lol! Ok.

With a smile on my face,
Millie








3 comments:

  1. well you never what people will say or who they are if you don't spark up a conversation, some are good and some not so good. sounds like you may have made a good friend time will tell. bess and me wish you well on your business btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. therealbobthought said...
    well you never what people will say or who they are if you don't spark up a conversation, some are good and some not so good. sounds like you may have made a good friend time will tell. bess and me wish you well on your business btw

    August 22, 2009 3:43 PM
    ________________________

    You guys are the best! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First impressions are important, much like trusting your gut instinct (esp. if he was a weirdo), but I think it's great that you returned his call. Not many would have; not sure if I would've either.

    I've added a link to your blog on mine... if you're bored, please check mine out! LostCaus3.wordpress.com

    Looking forward to reading about your good deeds---maybe some of it will rub off on me too!

    ReplyDelete

Lur'em Marketing's Fan Box