Monday, August 24, 2009

Old International Grunter

There is this old, harmless, international man who likes to smoke outside his balcony who lives across my courtyard. He often sits there quietly smoking or sometimes I pass him while he is getting in/out of his car.

A couple of months ago, I decided to say hello (after-all he is my neighbor) and he just ignored me. Oh well, maybe he didn’t see …no big deal. So then the next time I saw him, I waived hello again. His reply…nothing! What is his problem? How difficult is it to acknowledge someone or just say hello back?

Time after time, every time I saw him, I made it a point to waive or say hello. Time after time, he just ignores me. I’d hate to admit it, but it became an obsession. I was determined to keep saying hello until I get a response. After maybe a month of attempts, the grumpy old international man finally acknowledges my hello and responded with a grunt. Lol! Yes a grunt! A grunt was better that nothing and at that point, I was ok with that. I figured people like their space.

Imagine how shocked I was when I saw him at my gym. He was dressed in those old red cotton sweatpants and matching sweater that you would find in a swap meet. He had a towel wrapped around his neck and wearing a pair of sun glasses inside the gym (classic). It was adorable because you know he simply did not care about his appearance. The best part – while I was running on the treadmill, he purposely came about 10 feet of me, stood there and stared at me. I looked at him and he waived hello! Shocked and a little bit confused, I waived back! How wonderful! Out of all the places and with all the people, my grumpy old international grunter FINALLY waived hello! I couldn’t help but think - victory is mine! Lol! And get this; he did the same thing before he left the gym! How cute!

I felt so good, he definitely made my day! I guess persistence do pay off!

Amazed,
Millie

PS. Please stay tunned to my upcoming stories by clicking on the "follow" button. Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. now that was the best for me today
    thank-you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post!

    You know it's so hard to get that 'small town feel' here in SoCal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rod - I agree. How well do we really know our neighbors?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute!! I love this story! Even though he came off as rude in the past, I'm sure you made his day every time you would say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Millie, that is so adorable! It pays not to get stuck on your ego and let your self get sidetracked with feelings of negativity. Rather to believe there is goodness in people and continue to do your best to bridge the spaces between each other. I'll bet that whatever good feelings you have about your OIG, his thoughts and good feelings are tenfold more!

    Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Lur'em Marketing's Fan Box